support for parents - roles and responsibilities
The role of the
nurse is to:
- Identifying the diabetic student.
- Presenting the intervention protocol to the parents.
- Assessing the child’s health condition and determining the therapeutic nursing plan.
- Opening a health file at the CLSC.
- Filing the acceptance and authorization of the protocol in the special assistance file for the child.
- Posting the list of children with diabetes in the appropriate places.
- Raising awareness of diabetes issues among school staff and students.
- Providing annual training and information, in collaboration with parents, to school staff who are in direct contact with the child.
- Empowering those who accept responsibility for the student’s care.
- Responding to a problematic situation and evaluating the situation reported by the person responsible for the care to be given and determine the interventions required.
For a complete list of roles and responsibilities, see the School-Based Intervention Protocol for Students with Type 1 Diabetes.
Role of the school nurse